Yandina Historic House History
Yandina Historic House was built in 1899 -1900 at Bridges approximately two kilometres north of Yandina, by pioneer John Gustave Sommer for his family home. His wife Fredericka (Rikka) named it “Tillstead” after her birthplace in Denmark.
The house changed hands six times being owned in turn by John Sommerville, Thomas Arthur Graham, Joan Sharp, George Sharpe, Katherine Rose Somerset and finally in 1923, Benjamin Morgan Williams. By this time the name of the house had changed to “Kenaldare”. Three generations of the Williams family lived here with son Rhys and his wife Margaret holding their wedding reception at “Kenaldare” in 1978.
In 1996, Main Roads resumed the property to make way for the new Bruce Highway and the house was relocated to its present site.
The Maroochy Shire Council had the house restored with the help of SkillCentred.
The Yandina & District Historical Society Inc. took over the lease of the house in November 2003 naming the house “Yandina Historic House” and recognising previous owners on a plaque and historical displays.
Through the dedicated work of volunteers the House has been open to the public since November 2003.
Devonshire Teas, Light Lunches & Great Coffee available
Come and enjoy a cuppa and a light lunch as you browse through the history of Yandina and absorb the friendly ambience of the house, its staff and its surroundings.